Friday, October 10, 2008

Ballast


Main Entry:
1bal·last            Listen to the pronunciation of 1ballast
Pronunciation:
\ˈba-ləst\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
probably from Low German, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish & Swedish barlast ballast; perhaps akin to Old English bær bare & to Old English hlæstload, hladan to load — more at lade
Date:
1530

1 : a heavy substance placed in such a way as to improve stability and control (as of the draft of a ship or the buoyancy of a balloon or submarine)2 : something that gives stability (as in character or conduct)3 : gravel or broken stone laid in a railroad bed or used in making concrete4 : a device used to provide the starting voltage or to stabilize the current in a circuit (as of a fluorescent lamp)




....And his words I revisit because it how we began this lyrical dance. 
His arguments outstanding, his abstractions are the only words for this
I feel the pulse of my own making below. 
In its beat echoes stir in my ears and become all encompassing. 
In between the rhythm we make, I catch my breath. 
When I look into your eyes I don't see the reflection of me, 
I see deeper into the phrase "I hope you stick around". 

No comments: