Saturday, November 8, 2008

Things to enchant the eyeballs with



When I feel yucky I like to cuddle up and watch a loved movie. I have my standards I could watch over and over. Today I could watch any of the following... (And yes, appearantly I love musicals).


Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994). I saw this movie when I was in high school. I went and saw it with my sister at the theater in Fig Garden village that has since been torn down. Love the humor, love the last bit with the agreement " Can we argree...not to get married?"

Pulp Fiction (1994). I saw this with my dad and my sister when it arrived at the cheap theater. I was in high school, my sister had already seen it she couldn't stop talking about it. The theater was crowded with teenagers the night we went. I've been loving the replay in mind ever since. This film made me love lanky Uma Thurman. And helped me make movies of my own.

Steel Magnolias (1989). Classic chick flick, always good to watch. The one liners in this film spill out so well. "Like two pigs fighting under a blanket."

The Color Purple (1985). Sad, rejuvenating, entertaining. Love the singing scene down by the river.

Mary Poppins (1964). I always wanted to jump in a chalk drawing. The penguins are great.

Grease (1978). I've seen it a million times but I still love Stockard Channing singing 'bout Elvis.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001). Say what you will but that's some good writing.Saw this at the GLBT film fest in ol' Fresno. Great flick.

All About My Mother (1999). Pedro Almodovar's films get to my soul.

The Motorcycle Diaries (2004). New favorite. The cinematography is breathtaking. Based on the true story of Ernesto "Che" Gueverra and his friend Albert "Mial" Granado.
In a journey that lasts eight months, the partners travel over 14,000 kilometres, from Argentina through ChilePeru, and Colombia toVenezuela. Key locations along the journey described in the film include: In ArgentinaBuenos AiresMiramar, Buenos AiresVilla GesellSan Martín de los Andes, Lago Frías, Patagonia; in ChileTemucoLos AngelesValparaisoAtacama desertChuquicamata; inPeruCuzcoMachu PicchuLimaThe San Pablo Leper ColonyLeticia, Colombia and Caracas, Venezuela

The Birds (1963). Great Hitchcock movie. Good for any lazy hazy Sunday. No soundtrack to this film. Just the sound of the birds.

The Shining (1980). This is a great thriller Jack! Oh man the maze scares me.

Stand by Me (1986). I feel so nostalgic watching this film. Every time I hear of Castle Rock it brings me to this movie.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984). Saw this when it first came out. I was six years old. My mom took me and my teenage sisters to the Manchester theater to see this film. We missed the intro so we stayed through the credits to catch the beginning of the next show. Love all the catch phrases. "Dr. Jones!"

This is not a definitive list, but I would watch any one of these movies if they fell into my lap right now. 

No comments: