Thursday, April 10, 2008

Confessions of Stealing


The first item that I ever stole was a handful of loose marbles from the drug store. They were just lying there out of the package, and I had such a fondness for them. The smooth glass in the palm of my hand felt cold at first then they warmed with my touch and I thought of the feeling of playing marbles with my friends when I went to school the next day. The pride of having shiny new marbles to show was enough to convince me to take them. I discreetly put them in my pocket and away they went with me. I remember one of them being black, with a greenish-yellow cat eye in the middle. It was a pretty thing. Probably about the same time as this both of my sisters were doing community service for shoplifting at that same mall. One of them got busted for lifting make-up at that same drug store. If I had been caught it would have been very bad. I would have got the belt for sure. But I didn't. What ever happened to those marbles?

No comments: