Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One day

One day I will stand under the Eiffel tower.
One day I will stand on the deck of a boat that is sailing near the Alaskan shoreline.
One day I will visit the home of Hunter S. Thompson and see where he lived and died.
One day I will hike from Oregon to California.
One day I will play a composition I wrote on the piano.
One day I will show an audience of people a movie I made about a girl who helped out a survivor of a Japanese internment camp.
One day I will live in a house that I crafted.
One day I will grow a successful organic vegetable garden.
One day I will have no bills.
One day I will stare at a person I won't fear to love.
One day I will learn to sew.
One day I will be more than a self.
One day I will have a Sangha.
One day the community I have will be my Sangha.
One day I will read a Mark Twain novel.
One day I will get published in The Sun.
One day I will feel confident to be without labels.
One day soon.

3 comments:

Dale said...

Are you looking for a sangha? Have you visited KCC? (kcc.org) -- oh, but don't do it until June, when the Karmapa's visit is over. They get a little frantic when the famous teachers come to town, alas! Nobody's perfect.

I was astonished to find myself comfortable with a Tibetan outfit -- the gaudy shrine and extravagant visualization practices and all that. I would have thought I'd get on with Zen people or Theravadin people more. But I love my sangha. They're wonderful, even if I do avoid them when the bigwigs come to town. The main teacher there, Michael, is surprisingly tough-minded and skeptical. Nothing woo-woo about him at all. But he's a lama in an authentic Tibetan tradition -- the three year meditation retreat and all that. It's a serious practice community.

Are you sure you want your sangha to be your community, though? I don't think I would. But then I'm kind of cranky.

Q. R. said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangha

I am seeing Buddha-nature within the persons I am currently associated. All beings possess this- is what I was referring to more than anything. But I am separately seeking an environment for meditation and spiritual practice. Maybe you can be my guide and accompany me, or I should say...Can I accompany you some time? That would be very cool.

Dale said...

Absolutely! That would be fun. The best times to go, I think, are Sunday evenings -- fewer people than in the morning. That's usually when I go.