Saturday, April 12, 2008

Some truth about my addiction


Coffee is a mildly putrid drink made of dried, sometimes over-roasted, or burned beans. Then to extract a drink we drip hot water over the ground beans to activate the oils and blend the coffee with water. The acid of the coffee is certainly not good for my teeth, bladder or kidneys. To enhance the flavor I put at least a spoonful of sugar in every cup and cool it off with some vanilla soy milk. It is an expensive habit costing me because I brew a strong pot every morning and buy coffee out. I pay up to 10.99 a lb. Plus 1.99 a lb. for sugar, and another 2 bucks for every carton of soy. If I order a espresso drink out, well, 3.50 a cup at a cafe.
Having said all this... I love coffee. I love the ritual. I grind my beans every morning. I make a conscience effort to buy organic, shade grown, and fair traded blends, and locally roasted whenever possible. My sugar is usually organic turbinado I buy in bulk. My soymilk, organic, non-GMO.
I have been drinking coffee since about the age of fourteen. I started ditching class to go write poetry and consume cup after cup. Sometimes never stepping foot on campus. Whenever a cup is in my hand I am drinking in a familiar, a taste that will always be. I enjoy the ritual. Some weeks I ween myself of the caffeine for my health, and to calm the jitters, but the coffee ritual is hard to break because of the creative juices that come. I get stuff done in the morning. I get up early and I enjoy the sun rise with a cup in my hand. How can you argue that? Its part of me. I think coffee rings will always find their way on my journal, car, and life.

1 comment:

Dale said...

Dear blessed coffee. I really can't imagine doing without it.

As addictions go, it's pretty benign, and pretty cheap :-)

So fun to meet you! (or whatever it is that you do online; we don't really have a verb for it)

The dew's already heavy on the grass, here; I just took the garbage out, in bare feet, and it was very wet and sweet and cool. An extraordinary day, all round. G'night!