Sunday, May 11, 2008

Inside and Out


Today is mother's day. I don't have to look at the calendar to know it. I can feel it hanging overhead. I am several hundred miles north of my mother. I can probably guess what she did this morning. I can see her saunter down the hallway, getting up for something from the kitchen despite her ailments. She's probably enjoying warmer weather than I, and she might have stepped outside for a smoke and watched the dogs saunter about as well. I sent her a card. It was put out with the post on Thursday. I'm sure it didn't make it on time. The card I picked up at the bookstore. It was a simple card. On the outside of the card, a black and white photo of woman's hands holding an array of buttons. The inside of the card was sappy, I liked it. "She taught me how to love the simple things....."...something to that affect. And I do enjoy the simple things. Coffee on Sundays, sleeping in, lounging, updating this blog, thinking about a corresponding photo for this post. I played with a large mason jar of buttons my mom had when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite past times as she sat sewing. I'm happy to have found that card to remind me of these things.

No comments: