Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Work Day

Today.... Arrived in my usual way. Sweaty, red-faced, somewhat eager to start. Shortly thereafter I am followed by my aged friend, he always makes sure I arrive in one piece and at least smile at him. One of my young associates asked the distance of my ride. I quickly mapped it online..."About 4.94 miles, it says." We agreed it was a pretty good ride in. I realized after starting my computer that I'd forgotten my headphones. My favorite -hard-to-handle-but-always-good-for-a-laugh co-worker was exuberant by this fact, so she could talk to me all day, (part of the reason I wear them is to tune her out and concentrate on the task at hand. Funny how I make less mistakes with music so acute in my ear, verses music playing out of a distant speaker.) This co-worker had a radio on at her work station. She said "Hey, come here, let me tell you a funny story." (...This is exactly the sort of thing that stops me all day long....) She proceeds..."So this contest on the radio was to win concert tickets, to win you had to call and give your best cheating on a significant other story. So this chick calls in and she says she went to Vegas one year with co-workers and she got drunk and slept with this guy. She was engaged at the time, and felt terrible about it. So, she gets back to work and another co-worker saw the cheaters go back to the hotel room in Vegas, and blackmails the chick into doing her a favor. The chick said the blackmail agreement was she had to go with the co-worker to a swingers club three nights a week for a whole year. The Dj's were dumbfounded. They asked how she got out of it? The chick said eventually she moved away and got a better job. She won the concert tickets." My catch phrase for the rest of the day was, "So I had to go to this swingers club for a whole year."
I rode home at a slow pace. I enjoyed the breeze. It wasn't as hot today. I was trying to enjoy the experience like a smoker who had just regained his sense of smell. Tonight I plan on sitting on the back porch, drinking a beer, and waiting for the sun to go down. The summer's night air will lull me to sleep and I will feel the embrace of an earned slumber after a long work day.