Monday, April 30, 2018

All the news that's fit to print

Dear Pen pal,

All the growth I've mustered over the past year has been documented and it is important I look back on it, and in turn offer myself the most heartfelt compassion.

Yesterday was a bucolic, and transcendent day. I drove up the 30 to Astoria with my dear friend, whom still embarrasses me with ease, and with liberty that only an ex can do. We visited a pal who had relocated to that sleepy town. She lives in an old Victorian home surrounded by hills, and a herd of cows. We wished to live in one of the rooms and take naps on the couch. For a moment our lives were put on hold, stresses gave way to goofiness and playful banter. My pal's menagerie of pets were also part of the charm.
When we left we listened to Van Morrison and belted out the lyrics.
It was a lovely day.
And today I shared in a meeting about my current struggle on the 9th step. I'm in this amends making journey, that is neither sweet, nor bitter, only a struggle because it is a real one.
And I inch down the list. Looking at resentments of old, trying to apologize for the wrongs I've done and somehow finding the strength to do this work.
Now is the time to give it over to my higher power, because I certainly don't have any reason to think I have control. I can only be truthful, because in the end, the greatest amends will be the one I offer myself.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sincerely,

-R

No comments: