Sunday, April 15, 2018

ducks



cor·dial

ˈkôrjəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    warm and friendly.
    "the atmosphere was cordial and relaxed"
    synonyms:friendlywarmgenialaffableamiablepleasantfondaffectionatewarmheartedgood-naturedgracioushospitable, welcoming, hearty
    "a cordial welcome"
noun
  1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    another term for liqueur.
    synonyms:liqueurdrink
    "fruit cordial"
  2. 2.
    a comforting or pleasant-tasting medicine.







Dear pen pal,

I started smoking again. I don't feel too bad about it. It was suggested to me to also remember that I could not smoke and try screaming and crying, but I rarely have time for screaming and crying.

I had a great time in Chicago. I was particularly moved by the St. Francis of Assisi portrait that I sat in front of. There I said the prayer of St. Francis (although he didn't write it) it felt right in the moment. The Art Institute of Chicago had just changed out their Rodin exhibit so unfortunately we missed seeing “The Thinker”. There just wasn't enough time to breathe it all in.

At the conference I met the most interesting people while outside the hotel having smoke breaks. It was quite cold. The lowest it got there during my stay was 27. I had never been east of New Mexico, and seeing the Great Lake was awe inspiring. The color of that water was a shade of blue I'd never seen. I looked hard into the abyss and never saw the bottom. The ducks were unafraid, but I feared that the deepness of the lake could pull me in, even though I was firmly standing on a dock.

On my return flight (which I fucking hated because sitting still is not my forte) I received word that my boss has been fired. He had been awful to work for, and we organized to get rid of him. Now we are floating without a bottom... I'm not sure what sort of battle is yet to come, but I will accept all forms of prayer.

I got you a postcard. It is of one of the tourist spectacles. All in all I enjoyed my time in 'the windy city'. There were some folks who were nicer than others, and it was refreshing. Portland can be dull with niceties and it is neither kind, not cordial to lure others into an abyss of your inability to set a boundary. Don't make eye contact on the 'L'. 

I see that I have some reoccurring themes here.

More to ponder on another day. Good luck with the new moon.

-R


No comments: